Lissi's 1st bday party!
We made it through the big party. We had over 50 people there (including our family). My mom even flew up from California to be there for the event (which we held about a week before Lissi's actual bday so that my mom could be there).
The weather was VERY hot (for this area). Low-90's was quite sweaty for an outdoor party. But, luckily the party could be outdoors because there is no way everyone could fit in our home. This was a potluck party, so we had many tasty dishes. I made several Korean dishes including a cucumber salad, sweet soy-sauce potatoes, and crockpot bulgogi. The dessert included banana cupcakes with cream cheese frosting for the kids and a fabulous Harvest Apple Cake for the adults.
About an hour into the party we dressed Lissi in her traditional hanbok, given to her by the Reception Center. We asked all the guests to make predicitons as to what she would choose during the toljabee ceremony. For the toljabee ceremony we held Lissi up to a platter containing a variety of items. The first two items that she chooses is said to be predictive of her future. The first item she picked up was a plastic knife, indicating that she will be a good cook. 
The guests were cheering (and making strong suggestions as to what she should choose next), the weather was hot, and Lissi was not a happy camper. I think choosing was a little too stressful :) She almost chose the pen (indicating that she would be a scholar) and almost chose the thread (indicating long life). But ultimately, the stress and heat got to her and she broke down in tears. So we've concluded that she is just going to be a REALLY great cook. We had promised a prize to whoever was able to correctly guess both items that she picked up from the tol table. Because she only chose the knife, I wanted to give prizes to each person who chose the knife...but I had only bought 4 Korean treats and 7 people were winners. So I asked for volunteers to not take a prize. This idea, however, backfired, and everyone (except for Cal) graciously said they didn't need a prize. Then I had to change my tactic and ask people to be greedy and take a prize!
All together it was a great celebration. Cal had a terrific time opening all of Lissi's gifts. He is pretty sure that the gifts are for him and only shares them reluctantly.
2 comments:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LISSI!!! It sounds like your party was SUPER fun...and I hope that we get to come to the next one! ;o)
I also think that cooking is a fine profession! You sure look like you enjoyed the cupcake...maybe you'll be a baker!
Love all the pictures of the party...Lissi always brings a smile to our faces.
Post a Comment