Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Hanging out with the Globetrotters



A few Harlem Globetrotters visited my school and gave a presentation to the students. Here is a picture of me with Meadowlark Lemon (on my left) and Hollywood!

Immediately after the presentation (focusing on "determination" and "perserverence"), I grabbed my next 3 students and rushed to get a picture of them with a Globetrotter. I made this effort because one of my students was very upset that he missed part of the show (which was because he was acting up and not being a good audience member so he was "invited" into the hall). In spite of my efforts, my downcast student did not perk up and so I have a picture of 2 smiling students, one smiling basketball player, and one grumpy boy.*

I spent a few minutes trying to teach these young students the name of the Globetrotters. I did this by helping them learn what a globe was. Then I taught them the word "trot" by trotting around the room. I combined the word for them and held a large globe while trotting around the room. Luckily none of my colleagues saw me in action!


*It might be of interest to note that sometime after he got home, this student swallowed a quarter and a nickel. He could not return to school until these had passed through his system. The coins, however, did not pass naturally through him so he had to be hospitalized to have them removed. Why-oh-why did this elementary school-aged child swallow 30 cents?????

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP