Friday, April 27, 2007

Ken Miller and our evening out

I got an email 2 days ago as a "last reminder" from my college alumni assocation. The email stated that Dr. Ken Miller would be in town doing a presentation of Evolation and faith on 4/27. This "last reminder" was the 1st time I'd heard the news and I scrambled to ask Wink if he wanted to go. He didn't get back to me during the day to tell me that YES he'd love to go. Then he forgot to call around for a babysitter the next day. So Thursday night he made 4 or 5 calls begging for a last minute babysitter. Luckily, he found one (at 10pm).

The introducer calculated that each class in college cost about $400 per lecture. Therefore, this evening's talk was a $400 class for free! For the most part, I'd say we were ripped off in college since most of my classes were not worth even a small fraction of that amount. Tonight's presentation, however, was one of the most well-prepared and explained that I have EVER seen or heard. Dr. Miller was witty, engaging, brilliant, and extremely well prepared with visuals, movie clips, etc. I was not lucky enough to take any classes with him at college--in fact he was on sabatical my freshman year--but he is one of the university's most popular professors. I now know why! When working at the university, Wink was able to get me an autographed Biology High School text book from Dr. Miller. This was applicable at the time, since I was a HS Biology teacher. High School teaching only lasted one long, painful year.

Wink says that Dr. Miller is one of his heroes because of his stand that evoluation and Christianity are NOT mutually exclusive. They are not in conflict. His presentation brilliantly illustrated his points. Dr. Miller was so articulate and knowledgable on every question and research that he was literally making quotes both from papers written 2 weeks ago and from research from 30 years ago.

Dr. Miller played a clip from his guest appearance on the Colbert Report. This 6 minute segment doesn't due justice to his brilliance, but does give a small taste of his arguments: Colbert Report with Dr. Miller

For more information: Dr. Miller's evolution page

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP