Thursday, December 07, 2006

Death of James Kim

Normally tragic events in the news don't phase me very much. That is probably because I don't keep up with the news at all (we don't even get the Sunday paper any more). Even when I do hear about a sad news story, I usually do not relate to the people involved.

I was not attuned to the Kim family story at all until the wife and children were rescued on Monday. At that time my co-workers told me about the story and I became interested immediately and checked for updates at least once an hour. I realized that this tragedy was all because of weather and a few missed turns. It could happen to anyone. It could easily happen to me.

What has been harder for me to deal with, however, is how much I can relate to this family. Our family profiles are so similar. Our racial dynamic is nearly identical. Our ages are practically the same. Our children's ages are similar. The geeky-computer-savy-fun-loving husband is similar. Our area of residence is connected. The location where these tragic events happened is so relatively close. Heck, even our cars aren't all that different.

I am so sad that this family had this horrible ordeal and lost a husband and father. I grieve for their future and the sadness they will endure forever.

But I also have to think, this could have been us.

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP